Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Don't put a price to your health... yeah, right!

I have joined several health/Diet/Nutrition groups in social networks during my search for a healthier lifestyle... I have been consistently working out and watching what I eat, avoiding unhealthy stuff, etc... for over 2 years now... I have always tried to feed good things to my family but it was just 2 and a half years ago that I took it to a whole new level for myself and started to make some other drastic changes for my family as well...

So... a consistent thing that I saw whenever someone mentioned something like "well... I can't afford this or that" was always kind of a judgmental response like: "Don't put a price to health!" ... People would even dare to mention "I can't understand why some people choose food that is not organic" ... WHAT?! Yeah... we choose to eat not organic because we prefer pesticides and fertilizers in our food... has nothing to do with the fact that we CAN'T afford it! Especially if I want to serve my children all the recommended number of servings of fresh fruits and vegetables each day! ... "Don't put a price to health" to me sounds actually cruel, when the person who hears it doesn't respond it might just be because they realize there's nothing they can say for the other one to understand... saying that "phrase" implies that a mother would say "yeah... I wish I could give you something healthy but I care more about the money I can save than about your health!" ... I am sure there might be cases like that but for the most part it's not like that!(particularly if we're in HEALTH groups is BECAUSE WE DO care about our health and our family's).

Others would say: "Just think about how much more money it would be if you get sick". I do agree... doctor's bills are insane and way more expensive than buying organic food... so if you CAN afford it... go organic all the way! We're all happy for you! But would you please not pretend to even begin to "understand" the reasons behind a mom who has to choose to buy a lot of "filler" food? I will also be sharing tips on how to make better choices... I understand sometimes we don't even know where to begin (and to make matters even worse it is hard if you have a picky eater)... remember beans, quinoa, brown rice, oatmeal (preferably steel cut oats) are great, healthy, nutritious, usually more inexpensive ingredients that go a loooong way when cooking... they provide protein combined with healthy carbs and fiber... And if you can afford to buy some ground turkey or other ground meats you can combine to add more protein and make it a more complete meal. I also agree that water -for example- is always best (and the cheapest option) I am not making excuses to just go eat the worst possible ingredients in the shelves... We can still try to make the most of what we have... BUT... BUT... I will NEVER TELL YOU "Don't put a price to health" ... *I* don't put a price to health but stores and clinics certainly do! I can't just go to the cashier and instead of paying say "hey! Don't put a price to health!" ... The price is there... whether we like it or not ... and it is painful when you realize that if you want to live with a really, REALLY small amount of money or if you have to visit the dollar stores most of the things are loaded with glutamate monosodium, corn syrup, yellow #5 or other artificial, highly processed ingredients...

Where am I going with all this? I don't know! Perhaps I am just venting and perhaps I just want to let you know that you're not on your own... You're a good mom! I know you're not putting a price to health... But I know that health does have a price... we just have to find the way to pay the least to get the best we can within our means.... Like I said in a previous post... Try to do your best and trust God with the rest. Would you please share this post to encourage other moms who have heard that "Don't put a price to health" quote as well? I am sure I am not the only one who has felt frustrated with it.

And just for being such a good reader... let me share with you a great coupon I found, this coupon is for a Bob's Red Mill Product, I absolutely love their products but they are sometimes not affordable for me... I was able to buy a bag of delicious muesli for my girls' yogurt with this coupon... you can use it for your favorite Bob's Red Mill item:

This is not the actual coupon, click on the link to print  http://www.bobsredmill.com/coupon-1-off.html




Love,

Paloma.

No comments:

Post a Comment